Free Tax Preparation
U.S. resident tax clinics will open February 25th - April 15th 2019 (so get them done early!)
Closed for Spring Break
Clinic will be held in the Union basement computer lab. Look for our table by the computers.
Monday: 10:15pm – 2:15pm
Tuesday: 2:00pm – 6:00pm
Thursday: 8:00am – 12:00pm
Saturday: 8:00am – 12:00pm
Walk in clinic, no appointments neccesary.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Site (VITA) is run by volunteers by the University of Utah accounting students and Beta Alpha Psi.
Special One Day Tax Clinics
In an effort to reach more tax payers, we are hosting several one time tax clinics around campus. For these sites, bring a laptop if you have one and to reduce your wait time.
Wednesday 3/13, Salt Lake Institute of Religion, 1780 S Campus Drive. 12:00pm-6:00pm
Friday 3/22- School of Medicine, Deans Large Conference Room. 10:00am-2:00pm
Wednesday 3/27 –LGBT Resource Center, Union Room 409. 10:00am-2:00pm
Friday 4/5- Salt Lake Institute of Religion, 1780 S Campus Drive. 12:00pm-6:00pm
Wednesday 4/10- DREAM Center, Location to be determined. 12:00pm-4:00pm
- Social Security or Individual Tax Payer Identification (ITIN) Number for each family member and working adult
- Any W-2's, 1099's, 1098's (especially form 1098-T if you pay tuition, find it on CIS)
- 1095-A if you received a tax credit from the healthcare.gov marketplace
- Childcare provider name, address and tax ID if applicable
- Bank routing and account numbers for checking or savings account (if you qualify for a refund and want direct deposit)
- Last year's tax return, if you have it
- A valid email address
We use www.myfreetaxes.com which uses H & R Block software. You can do it on your own for free using this website or we can help you in our clinic.
Our site is not limited to students and is open the general public as long as they meet the following conditions:
- To use our free software, your household gross income (AGI) must be less than $66,000
- Our free software doesn't support small businesses or rental income
The H & R block software our VITA site uses can only do returns for U.S. Citizens and permanent residents. If you are an international student who has been in the U.S. for less than 5 years, you will need to use a tax software that supports non-resident returns. The International Student and Scholars Services office will send out an email for a free use of Sprintax software if you are elligble. Our student volunteers are not trained on this software or international tax laws and are not certified to help prepare non-resident returns. Sprintax has a 24 hour hot line to help you complete your taxes.
No appointment required. The walk-in clinic is facilitated in which you prepare your own return with the help of IRS Certified Tax Preparers.
- At our site, someone will greet you and set you up on a computer. If there are no computers available when you come in you may use your laptop, if you have one. The greeter will make sure you are setup properly.
- We will not be doing your taxes for you, but have you do your taxes on an easy to follow H&R Block software. However, we will have certified volunteers there for any questions you may have while preparing your taxes.
- When you have completed your taxes, before you file them, be sure to have a volunteer do a quality review to ensure that major credits and deductions were not missed.
- After you have completed the process, we will have you save a copy of your tax return for your files. Also, we will ask you if you would like to fill out an optional survey to see what we can do better next year to assist you.
If you are an International student or non-resident who needs to prepare their tax return, the International and Student Scholar Services Center will be providing Sprintax software codes that will let you file your federal return for free. This software is easy to use and has 24/7 hotline help if you have questions. Sprintax will file your state tax return for a fee or you can file for free at Utah's Tax Payer Access Point.
For more information and to request a code, visit International Student & Scholar Services tax information page.
Thank you to our partners: