Skip to content

Main Navigation


Tax Filing for College Students 

Students who are single and earned more than the $13,850 standard deduction in 2023 are required to file a tax return. That $13,850 includes earned income (from a job) and unearned income (such as from investments). If your job withheld federal income tax and you earned under that amount we can file to get the money back to you. There are also tax credits for education that could be available.

Whether or not you can be claimed as a dependent on your parents' tax return is based on your age, your student status, and who is paying the bills. Generally, a parent can claim you as a dependent until age 19, but if you are a full-time student, they can claim you as a dependent until age 24.

Financial Wellness Center staff will not be able to do one-on-one tax filing for international students.

2024 Tax Filing Help will be available after FEB 8, 2024.

Tax Information

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)

The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) helps low-to moderate-income workers and families get a tax break. If you qualify, you can use the credit to reduce the taxes you owe --and maybe increase your refund.

Learn more


Free-Self Filing 

IRS Free File lets you lets you prepare and file your federal income tax online using guided tax preparation, at an IRS partner site or Free Fillable forms.



The IRS's Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs offer free basic tax return preparation to qualified individuals. 

The VITA program has operated for over 50 years. Vita sites offer free tax help to people who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns, including: 

  • People who generally make $60,000 or less
  • Persons with disabilities; and 
  • Limited English-speaking taxpayers


Tax Forms 

IRS forms are documents used to report certain financial transactions, calculate taxes owed or prepare tax returns. There are hundreds of kinds of IRS forms, and the IRS reissues many of them on an annual basis to incorporate changes in tax rules. However, you probably don't need to care about most of them. 

Here are some major IRS Forms everyone should know.

Tax forms

Taxes (International Students)

International students and scholars, who receive income from a U.S. based source, are required to file federal tax returns with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) by April 15, 2024. You may also be required to file state tax returns as well. Sources of U.S. income may include the following: on-campus employment, graduate assistantships (TA/RA/GA), scholarships, fellowships, grants, or earnings from OPT or CPT.


Learn more

Tax Clinic

File your taxes for Free!

University of Utah is happy to host a VITA tax for 2023 Taxes Starting Feb. 3 2024 along with Beta Alpha Psi (BAP).
Students wanting to file their taxes will need to attend a tax clinic. Appointments are preferred, walk ins will be welcome but will be helped on a first come, first served basis.

2/8 11am-1pm Union Basement
        5-8:30pm   Union Basement
2/29 5:30-8pm SFEBB 3170
3/14 11am-1pm Union Basement
          5-8:30pm   Union Basement
3/21 5:30pm-8pm SFEBB 3170
3/28 3-8:30pm Union Basement
4/4 5:30-8pm SFEBB 3170
4/11 3-8:30pm Union Basement


  Schedule an appointment
Last Updated: 3/27/24